02 October 2012

Body Dysmorphic Disorder...?

...or just an artist ignorant of/unconcerned with body proportions?

Having just returned from the gym, where body image is a very hot topic, the following piece of art appealed to me. (Or perhaps I should say "appealed" to me, as sarcasm is a main ingredient in every soup du jour I offer here.)



Me thinks the proportions are a bit off (not to mention her missing arm -- though I suppose she could be an amputee and I could be seriously insensitive). I realize inverted triangle (or "apple") figures exist, but this exaggeration just sets up false expectations for those young girls aspiring to the body of Ms. Heart of Gold. 

Okay, I'm out of things to say without getting too critical of the technique here. I have no right to critique drawings when I've got minimal talent in that area myself (though my Lion King paintings from back in the '90s were pretty fancy and my WALKING TACO posters at work were perfectly mediocre). Check out my brother's art here or my sister-in-law's here (name-drop me & my blog in your friend request if privacy settings keep you from the photos) if you want to see something good. 

I wanted to take a moment to share some art with you; now for some Neil Young.

You're welcome for the nude paintings a few links ago.


No comments:

Post a Comment

There once was a woman who lived in a shoe.

Featured Post

T-Shirt Rack Diving