23 December 2012

Unpolished Sushi Rock


During a trip to Cincinnati last July, I joined my aunt and cousin for some sushi at a place called SUSHI ROCK. 

Pretty tasty sushi, though they made the situation much more complicated than a rock. Instead of opting for light, traditional melodies designed to lead one to zen, the management of this establishment chose to play thumping music at a volume so distracting as to remove the possibility of comfortable conversation (unless you're one of those people who shouts everything). And the tunes weren't live or even GOOD; it was Top-40s (do they stop at 40 anymore?) club-friendly crap. Okay, friends: I admit that I often listen to the genre when I'm doing housework in an empty house or in my car avoiding carpool lanes despite wishing to be eligible to use them. But I don't make a habit of listening to this light, inconsequential stuff with other people (unless we're having a "girls night" -- complete with manicures and makeovers! -- or we're suuuuuuuper drunk and I mean hate-myself-tomorrow plastered). Why the hell would I want to listen to a Justin Bieber dance mix with my aunt and cousin? (I mention Bieber -- whose name may or not follow the "i before e" rule without changing my world -- because the same song played twice during our hour-long stay.)

I suppose this would have been okay if the chopsticks wrappers had said "ROCKS" rather than summoning the animal-vegetable-MINERAL (!!) and YES, I suppose we could have better researched the establishment, but I also think that a place that takes the trouble to make their own chopsticks wrappers can take the time to put a damn rock in the place and at least FAKE some zen. For the prices they charge, I'd say I deserve as much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

There once was a woman who lived in a shoe.

Featured Post

T-Shirt Rack Diving